Kent Center Athletic Club
For many years, Kent Center family members have been involved in Special Olympic activities, and have loved them. The Kent Center Athletic Club will expand upon these activities to include other competitions and club sports opportunities. They will build upon their love of the video game dance phenomenon, as well as their commitment to daily calisthenics to develop a regular exercise regime based on strengths, abilities and wishes. With the support of dynamo volunteer Jack Brosius, Kent Center ‘s Athletic Club was designed to build healthier physical, mental and social lives for our adults with developmental and physical disabilities through athletics.
Our goals include:
- Provide a supportive, safe environment in which our family members can learn, practice and participate in the athletic activities of their choosing.
- Create long-term community friendships to support the athletic and social goals of participants.
- Increase the independence, self-confidence and physical health of all Club participants, including coaches and volunteers.
We could not do this program without our amazing volunteers; including:
- Jack Brosius- Kent Center Athletic Club Advisor, Kayaking, Weight Lifiting and Swim Coach
- Barbara and Martin Weigman – Bocce Coaches extraordinaire
- Washington College Swim Team, and members of the Kent and Queen Anne’s Counties High School Swim Teams – Swim Team mentors
- Jay Yerkes – Running/Walking Team Head Coach
There are many ways that you can help support our amazing group of athletes.
Volunteer: If you have the time and the interest, we are always looking for volunteers to coach and buddy with our team members. Join our team and share your favorite sport with our folks. Training for coaches will be provided.
Sponsorships: Please consider sponsoring our club. You could sponsor a sport, an event, a team member, an entire sports team, or a club as a whole.
Cheer Us On: Whenever you hear of a Kent Center Athletic Club Event, feel free to join us to cheer on our athletes. You can’t help but smile as you see our team members give all they have to achieve their personal best.